Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

GLENDA

Good Morning:


Years ago when I was teaching 4th grade, I had a student who was a constant irritant to me. Constantly talking, constantly moving, constantly seeking attention, constantly disruptive to my class.

One day I'd had enough. I sent him to the office. As he left the room, another child came running to me and told me that if he were sent home, he would be violently disciplined by his parents. She told me that the reason he wore long sleeves and long pants everyday was to hide the scars from previous beatings. 

Immediately, my attitude towards him changed. I brought him back to the room and our relationship from that moment on brought me great joy.

I lovingly called him “Mr. Jefferson” a name he delighted in. 

I learned a valuable lesson that day. We don't always know what we need to know about a person. Behavior can be a mask to hide behind or a shield to ward off questions. We need to look for the good in people, recognize the bad and love them anyway. That is what Jesus would do. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment