Friday, January 6, 2012

Friday, January 6, 2012

Wesley

I am Wesley Pepper, Associate Pastor at Central UMC.

The most radical words in the Apostles Creed are the first four- “I believe in God. Notice that we say, “I believe in God” rather than “I know that there is a God.” What we believe is based on faith, but what we know is based on knowledge.

Just suppose that I reach into my pocket and then withdraw my hand. I then tell you that I have something in my hand and invite you to guess what it is. You respond that you think I have a coin in my hand. Now, that’s your opinion. But faith is not the same as opinion.

Now, I’m going to tell you that I have a quarter in my hand. Do you believe me? I hope that you would respond, “I believe you, because I trust you and have found you to be truthful with me in the past.” If that is your response, you are making a statement of faith.

God, for His own reasons, has not subjected himself to proof. Instead, he wants us to live by faith. The Bible says that “without faith it is impossible to please God.”

It is my prayer that today you would place your faith in God through His son Jesus. Faith in Jesus alone will save us in this life and the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment