Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

DENNIS

Good Morning. I’m Dennis Gossett with Central United Methodist Church. So, who is my neighbor? I remember the first time I was asked this question in my teenage Sunday School class. The answer was easy. It was the people next door. And if I really thought about it, it was the people I hung around with and liked.

As I got older and understood the answer Jesus was looking for, I secretly still had those kind of neighbors in mind. We all tend to treat people we know and grew up around better than we do people who are different. But only connecting with people in our own little circle makes us fearful or suspicious of anyone outside the circle.

The hardest thing Jesus wants us to do is to expand our circle. Jesus’ concept of neighbor is totally different from how you and I want to define it. For him, neighbors aren’t limited to people who look the same, have the same likes or dislikes, or even listen to the same music as we do. In fact, Jesus’ circle included everyone. Let’s widen our circle this holiday season. God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment