Thursday, July 7, 2016

Thursday, July 7, 2016

BOB

Good morning! This is Bob Peden of Central, a United Methodist Community in Meridian, MS. Many, many, years ago when all gas stations were full service, I pulled into my regular station to buy gas. When I stopped, the older man who owned, operated, and was the mechanic at the station hollered out, AYou are going have to pump it yourself today.@

When I was finished, I went into the service bay to pay him. He was engaged in working on an old worn out car. He said to me, AThis car and I are just alike, worn out, but don=t know when to quit.@ Then he looked up from his work and said, ADo you know how much work a mule can do?@ I confessed that I had no idea how much work a mule can do. He smiled at me, Aall he can do, just all he can do, no more.@

There are days I need to hear that again. There are days when I begin to think I must do more than is possible, and then feel guilty when I haven=t accomplished everything. A mule knows he can only do what he can do and no more. We should be a least as smart as a mule.

No comments:

Post a Comment