Thursday, August 25, 2011

Thursday, August 25, 2011

BOB PEDEN

If I say that I have faith in my doctor, what image does that bring to your mind? Am I saying that I believe that his diploma is real, that he really is certified to practice medicine? Or am I saying something more?

Suppose that one day I come to you with a terrible cough. I tell you that my doctor says that I have strep throat and has prescribed a certain medication. I proclaim the praises of this doctor, repeating again what faith I have in him. But when you ask me if I'm going to take the prescribed medicine, I reply, “What for? That stuff won't do me any good.” What would you think of my “faith” at that point?

True faith is more than an intellectual exercise. Faith affects not only beliefs, but actions. A faith that is not acted on is no faith at all. Or as the Bible says, “faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.”

This is Bob Peden of Central United Methodist Church.  If we truly believe in God, we will do what He has told us to do. If our lives are not lives of obedience, they are not lives of faith at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment