Friday, October 5, 2012

Friday, October 5, 2012

BOB PEDEN



Should I be afraid of God? No. Yes. Sometimes. In some ways. It depends on what you mean.

How's that for a definite answer? This example that helps me understand it a bit. I sit in an office day after day, surrounded by electricity. There are electrical cables in the walls around me and in the ceiling over my head. Numerous power cords are plugged in near my feet.



I'm not afraid. In fact, I'm glad that I have electricity in my office. It gives me light and lets me use my computer and other devices. I'm not afraid of electricity. But I'm not going to stick a fork into an outlet, either. I fear electricity and its power, but I don’t let it keep me from relying on it.



Likewise, I shouldn't live a fearful life, walking around thinking that God is going to strike me down at any time. That's not love. That's not what God wants. But I should have reverence for God and his power.



Do you fear God? Are you living a life of reverence? If not, then I don't think you know who God is.

No comments:

Post a Comment