Monday, August 24, 2015

Monday, August 24, 2015

JONATHAN

The Psalms are alive

Good morning! My name is Jonathan Crabtree, and I’m the Pastor for Student

Ministry at Central United Methodist Church in downtown Meridian.

Actress Julie Andrews sings how the “hills are alive with the sound of

music” in the 1965 American classic, “The Sound of Music.” Through the

story, she works with the seven children in teaching them the prevalence of

music. Thus, we hear the songs’ lyrics: “The hills are alive with the sound of

music.”

When I served as Chaplain Intern at University of Kentucky Hospital in

Lexington, Kentucky, I concluded a similar phrase like Julie Andrews. “The

Psalms are alive in your life and mine.” As I walked through the hospital,

and as I sat with several families in pain and grief, I was reminded of the

Psalms because of the common phrase of asking “Why?” The Psalms are

prayers, songs, testimonies, and words of inquiry. Do you ask, “Why?” when

life seems to not be going according to plan? Because, it’s ok to ask “why.”

How are the Psalms alive in your own life?

No comments:

Post a Comment