Thursday, June 27, 2013

Thursday, June 27, 2013

JIM CAIN



“They share freely and give generously to those in need. Their good deeds will be

remembered forever. They will have influence and honor.” Psalm 112:9



It had been a long hard day of school and work, and I wanted nothing more than to

have a hot shower and a warm dinner. The New Orleans traffic was terrible as usual,

so I decided to take a short-cut through a area of town that was in transition. As I

locked the doors to my car and sped up, I spied a woman and her child sitting under a

bridge eating what appeared to be bread. After I got home, I walked down to see my

neighbor, Ray; and after a brief conversation over what I had seen, we gathered up

some food, towels, and a couple of bars of soap and headed back down the road to find

them.



After we left our things with them, Ray said, “What those people really need is some

mosquito nets and sheets of plastic to cover the holes in their roof and windows.”

“There were others there to who need just as much as the lady, how will we ever help

them all,” I wondered out loud.



That week we returned with the nets. The next week, rolls of plastic. As the weeks

went on and my friends rallied to help the neighborhood, I began to say to myself over

and over, “Better something than nothing” we may not meet all their needs, but we can

meet some of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment